PGP Fundamentals: Match Phase 1
This episode is all about Phase 1 of the Match and how to navigate it.
Topics we discuss:
- Phase 1 introductions, timeline, statistics
- Strategies for ranking programs for Phase 1
- Red flags you should be looking for during your interview during Phase 1 that you should consider during ranking
- How many programs you should rank
- What you should do while awaiting Phase 1 match results
This episode's take-aways:
- Phase 1 of the Match may include virtual interviews, on-site interviews, open houses, showcases, or both. It lasts over the course of months.
- Deadlines are typically early March for Phase I rank lists being due for applicants and programs. Mid-March is when Match Day results are available and when Phase 2 applications begin. See more information here.
- The Match algorithm is set up in your favor so rank programs by which ones you like the most (not by how you think they may have viewed you), but don't rank programs you don't see yourself going to. Rank as many programs as you could see yourself going to.
- Find out more about it in Episode 3 or watch this video on how The Match works.
- The Match statistics from this past year indicate a trend that favors candidates, but it is still competitive. See more information here.
- Keep yourself busy after submitting Phase 1 rank lists and talk to your preceptor about potentially being off that day and working out a mutual agreement for make-up work. Be prepared and know if you would want to pursue Phase 2 if you don't match.
Check out our website and sign-up to join the SASO (separate and stand out) squad. Check out our blog. If you like the show, support us by telling your friends or colleagues about it. You can also support us by clicking the coffee button on the website and buying us a cup of coffee or getting yourself some of our premium merch.
Follow us on twitter @PGPharmacist or on Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn @ThePostGraduatePharmacist. What questions did we not answer? What did you think of the show?
Music | "Sweet" by LiQWYD