What should you do if programs offer BOTH in-person and virtual interview options?
This week we are joined by Dr. Lea Eiland to discuss a possible crossroads that candidates may be faced with this interview season. What if programs offer in-person and virtual interview formats? What should you choose? Which option will give you the best chance at securing the post-graduate training position? Is it worth the extra cost of travel? All these topics are explored and more in this episode.
Choosing between virtual or in-person interviews
- Always consider your health, along with what is the best impression to the program for you.
Why in-person may be a better idea than virtual
- Allows you to see future practice sites and new cities
- Meet more people
- Allows you and the interviewers to get a better feel for each other
Should candidates stick to one interview type over the other?
- Do what's best for you if presented with the option
- Depends on program
- Do what best fits your schedule
Should the cost of traveling be a consideration?
- Cost should be considered when applying
- Virtual residency fairs may allow you to make a decision sooner by being able to ask questions
- Apply to wherever you see yourself liking most
- Don't limit your opportunities
Tips for virtual interviews
- Try and convey who you are
- Ask strong questions and be able to answer their questions
- Consider an appropriate, simple background
- Dress as if in person
- Check surroundings
- Take notes
- Practice! Practice! Practice!
- Don't log in too early.
Follow us on twitter @PGPharmacist or on Facebook @ThePostGraduatePharmacist and leave us your comments or questions that we did not answer.
Music by: @LiQWYD