PGP Fundamentals: Curriculum Vitae
This episode is all about curriculum vitaes and what things you should do to polish yours.
Questions we discuss:
- What is a CV vs a resume?
- What goes into your CV?
- What are some ways to make your CV pop or give it some CV flare?
- What should the substance and focus of the CV be?
This episode's take-aways:
- CV is much more than a resume. There is no page limit, and it's going to highlight your entire career when it comes to a certain profession.
- Your CV may only be 1 to 2 pages starting off, but it will expand.
- Your CV should be organized with clear transitions from one section to another. Section headers that stand out (bold, underlined) help people navigate your CV easily.
- Have your CV tell your story about your experience and education.
- Put things in reverse chronological order and label things, specifically dates, similarly throughout
- NO COMPLETE SENTENCES! Avoid walls of text, you want this to be easily scanned and overall summarized.
- Don't go overboard with flare, but it is ok to add some color to make it stand out more.
- Consider having an online CV or online portfolio where you can show pictures or expand on elements in the CV. You can link the hard copy of the CV to the website with a QR code using a free QR code creator
- Check out some CV prep tips from ACCP and ASHP
- Check out Episode 14, "Items to include on your CV" for more details on what to include and remove from the sections of your CV.
What should you do now?
- Pull out your CV or resume and make the skeleton with the area's we talked about in the episode
- Schedule some time every 3 months to update the CV
- Create a to-do list of things to add to your CV and keep it
What should you do later?
- Get others to review your CV, mentors, peers (peers you trust!)
- Continue to update
- Create plans for filling in gap areas
Check out our website and sign-up to join the SASO (separate and stand out) squad. Check out our blog. If you like the show, support us by telling your friends or colleagues about it. You can also support us by clicking the coffee button on the website and buying us a cup of coffee or getting yourself some of our premium merch.
Follow us on twitter @PGPharmacist or on Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn @ThePostGraduatePharmacist. What questions did we not answer? What did you think of the show?
Music | "Sweet" by LiQWYD